Steep Village Hall
The Steep Memorial Village Club, to give it its full name, was built after the First World War on land given to the village by Bedales School. The cost was met by public subscription as a memorial to Parishioners who served during the war. A list of these (including the name of Edward Thomas) can be seen in the entrance to the Hall.
Tradition has it that during the Hall's construction, Stanley Spencer offered to paint a memorial mural, but the village had doubts and declined his offer!
The Club was originally run to provide a recreational facility for the village and was operated by its own Management Committee. However, in the 1930's, the Trustees passed it over to the Parish Council who effectively became the new Trustees.
The Hall was substantially enlarged and modernised in 1999 as part of the Millennium Celebrations with generous support from the Millennium Commission and Snell & Wilcox, as well as many parishioners.
It is now one of the best equipped and popular village halls in the district, with various clubs and groups meeting there regularly. For more information of the activities which go on there please click here..
Hiring the hall
Hiring rates (effective from April 1st 2016) are detailed in the table below, but please contact Jenny Hollington (01730-267784) or for bookings and any questions.
|Main hall & kitchen||Sunday — Friday||Saturday|
|Daytime rate (8am - 6pm)||£10 per hour||£15 per hour|
|Evening rate (6pm onwards)||£15 per hour||£20 per hour|
Hire of crockery and cutlery is available at £15. A separate cheque is required for a deposit; day £50, evening £100.
The Village Hall booking form (in PDF format) can be downloaded and printed here.
Steep Parish residents and charities receive a 10% discount.